Monday, February 28, 2011

KC Represent

Dustin, Vaughn, and I met this great couple here in Zambia a few weeks ago at a dinner party. Their names are Ben and Anna.  They are originally from Colorado and have their first baby (a girl) due in mid April.   But more importantly, Ben likes to BBQ.  And when I say BBQ, I mean a good old American smoked meat BBQ.  Ben asked if we would like to come to his house for a BBQ in a few weeks- and of course we obliged him.  But somehow in the discussion of BBQ it came up that there is a popular BBQ place in Kansas City named after my family.  Ben excitedly bestowed upon me the honor of bringing a homemade Kansas City BBQ sauce to the BBQ.  Last week, I realized how serious this task was when Ben sent out an email to the 20 or so invited guests promoting that there was “a guy from Kansas City who is going to bring some of his family’s famous, top secret BBQ sauce.”  I quickly started researching KC BBQ sauce recipes on the internet.  Before long, I had found some that looked good.  After collecting the ingredients at the store and determining acceptable substitutes for those which can’t be found in Zambia, I went to work.  I did a trial run the night before and after adjusting the recipe slightly for my preferences and adding one or two secret ingredients of my own- I had a sweet and spicy KC BBQ sauce.  But when Saturday came, I was still a little nervous about putting my family name on the line for this sauce so I decided to take drastic measures to ensure its success...

Because you just don’t question a guy with a handle bar mustache when it comes to BBQ sauce.  Needless to say, the sauce was a hit and the BBQ was amazing.

2 comments:

  1. You need some chops and a mullet to complete your look. Maybe some NASCAR?

    ReplyDelete