Monday, April 25, 2011

Set Free

Our flight from Lusaka to Capetown, South Africa was scheduled to leave early morning on Thursday, April 21.  I couldn’t wait.  I had been told of Capetown’s beauty and charm and would soon get to experience it for myself.  We arrived at Lusaka International Airport sleepy but excited.  We unloaded our luggage, went inside, got our tickets, checked bags, and passed through security.  All was going well and we still had an hour before our plane was scheduled to depart.  The only thing separating us from South Africa was immigration.  No big deal... it is all procedure.  Marsha McBride... stamped.  Marc McBride... stamped.  Dustin McBride... stamped.  Lauren Fulmer... stamped.  Vaughn Spethmann... stamped.  Andrew Zarda... sta... wait a minute, “Sir, your visa was approved for 30 days but it has been almost 3 months.  Where are your extension stamps?”
“My what?”
Oops.
It turns out that when you get a tourism visa it is valid for up to 3 months, which I knew coming into Zambia.  What I didn’t know is that they only approve it for 30 days at a time.  So I had paid for and received a 3 month visa, but I was supposed to go get a fresh stamp every 30 days which had not happened.  Just a technicality it seemed.  The immigration officer passed me off to go speak to her boss who would hopefully hear the misunderstanding, warn me to not do it again and stamp my passport.  Unfortunately, the boss lady must have been having a bad day.  Upon hearing my explanation for why I had no stamps (I did not know I needed them), she informed me that ignorance was no excuse and she was taking me to jail.  I assumed that she was just saying this to give me a scare and then she would let me go.  So I apologized over and over and asked if there was any other option.  She persisted in saying that I was going to have to spend a week in jail.  Eventually, she pulled out a form and started filling out information.  I asked her what she was doing and she said, “I am going to force you to leave my country.”  She handed the paper to me and said, “Sign this.”  It was a deportation form.  She was going to deport me as an illegal immigrant.  She said this was my best option but I would not be allowed back in the country.  I refused to sign.  “Then I am taking you to jail,” she said.  After about 30 minutes of going back and forth and only making matters worse, I convinced her to call her boss so I could speak with him.  Perhaps he would be merciful.  About that same time, I saw Dustin and waved him over to help me.  Meanwhile, all the rest of the group was on their way to go board the plane praying that I would be let through.  We got the big boss on the phone and he also threatened that I would have to go to jail.  Then he wanted to speak to Dustin.  He told Dustin he should throw him in jail too for housing an illegal immigrant.  After about 5 more minutes of threats from him and apologies from us, he finally agreed to let us go.  The immigration officer reluctantly stamped my passport and said, “when you come back, you are going to do time.”
Some sea lions chillin outside our hotel
I made it on the plane just in time.  I’d like to say I knew that it would all work out, but I was honestly not sure whether I would end up in South Africa or a Zambian jail at the end of the day.
Once in Capetown, Marc and Marsha again made sure that we received the royal treatment.  We stayed at an unbelievable hotel (the mini bar was comped!), had mouth-watering meals (including one of the best steaks I have ever eaten), toured a vineyard, experienced a South African braai, had a whisky tasting, watched the sun set over Camp’s Bay, and climbed a Lion’s Head (a small mountain).  We fit more into 3 days then most people can do in a week.
View of Capetown from Lion's Head
Vaughn flying Baby Bauer
We met up with two of Marc and Marsha’s friends, the Gary and Marnell Helling, who have an amazing ministry in the slums of Paarl, South Africa.  They provide help for the homeless, food for the hungry, healthcare for the sick, homes for orphans, safe houses for communities, and more.  Gary gave me a tour and left me wishing I could stay for a few weeks.  We also spent time with Morgan and Cari Cathey, who went to university with Dustin and Vaughn.  They recently had a beautiful baby boy, Thomas Bauer, who provided us with endless entertainment and smiles.  It was a blast getting to hang with all three of them.
In the end, we had to part ways.  We hugged Marc and Marsha goodbye.  We headed back to Lusaka, and they headed back to the States.
Camp's Bay at sunset
When we arrived in Lusaka, I was greeted at the immigration stand by my old friend, the female officer who threatened to throw me in jail and deport me.  I took a deep breath and acknowledged that if God wants me in Zambia, I will get into Zambia.  To my surprise, she was in a good mood.  She scolded me again, but she approved me for a 30 day volunteer visa.  So, I am back in Zambia and not in jail.  That made for a good Easter.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Andrew, I can't tell you how much I enjoy your blogs. I savor every word and detail. You are a great writer, and your descriptions are stellar. Your stories are helping the rest of us live vicariously the unique African life you are experiencing. I especially loved the video you posted for this month's newsletter. You sure packed a ton in 2 minutes 28 seconds. Thank you, thank you for the great work you are doing for Zambikes. We are so lucky to have you part of the team.

    ReplyDelete