Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Bamboo Bikes

Stain Chafwa sanding a bamboo frame.
I just realized that I don’t think I have mentioned anything about the bamboo bikes that Zambikes is making.  You heard me right... in addition to the several steel framed bikes that Zambikes makes, they also produce bamboo bicycle frames and they are sweet!!!  Apparently, bamboo’s combination of strength and flexibility makes it a perfect choice for building a comfortable, durable bicycle frame.  And since bamboo is a sustainable, renewable resource, it is environmentally friendly.
Right now I can even hear the sound of bamboo being sanded down at the Zambikes’ shop next to where I am staying.  It takes about a week of labor to construct a single frame, and I have been able to witness each step of the process.  Here is the abbreviated version:  First, the crew selects, treats, cuts, and sands down each bamboo piece.  (And I have learned that I love the smell of sanded bamboo.)  Then they carefully connect the pieces so as to construct a frame that it is of the highest quality and durability.  Then the joints where the bamboo connects are secured with epoxy and local hemp (doesn’t get much greener than that) and the entire frame is covered in a protective sealant.  And then... BAM(boo)!  You have got yourself one legit handmade bicycle frame, a real African work of art.
Zambikes originally started making bamboo bikes to see if they could produce a high quality bike at low cost to Zambians.  Unfortunately, the expense of bringing in the extra parts (derailers, wheels, pedals, crank, etc) was too high to make it cost effective.  So... they changed angles and started producing high quality bamboo bike frames that can be exported to the US and Europe.  Now people can buy a sweet bamboo bicycle frame made in Africa while helping employ 40+ Zambians and promoting community development right here in Lusaka West!  Win-win, if you ask me.  I am planning on coming back to Lawrence with one.  If you want to see more or buy your own bamboo frame check out Zambikes.com.  (And if you think the website looks nice... I’ll take a little credit for that.)

No comments:

Post a Comment