Monday, March 7, 2011

Mulungushi Lake

It turns out that Dustin and Vaughn have a lake house.  Granted, it is a very Zambian lake house... They bought a small plot of land next to a lake for about as much as you can buy a TV set in the states, dug out a bunch of dirt and rock on a hillside, and used local stones, mud, and cement to construct a cave-like house alongside the lake.  It is a perfect Zambian lake house in my opinion.  It is far from luxurious (It is no Shell Knob “Mac Shack”), but if you want to spend a weekend at the lake with a roof over your head, it works just fine.  Anyway, the lake house is not exactly furnished yet... It is just two empty rooms with a few windows.  So we went up this weekend to build a kitchen counter, stone grill for BBQs, and window screens to keep out mosquitos.  I worked on the grill and window screens, and let me tell you that if you have screens on your windows right now and you did not have to construct them yourself... Be thankful.  Because apparently, you can’t just go buy window screens in Zambia.  Anyway, after 3 solid hours of trying to construct a window screens, we admitted defeat... At least until we can get some more supplies to try another method.  Despite that setback, we had a productive and enjoyable time at the lake. But I think my favorite part was actually the ride down to the lake because I got to take a motorcycle down there and drive for an hour or two down a crazy muddy road.  I somehow managed to keep from falling but couldn’t prevent myself from ending up soaking wet and covered in mud. (I gave up on staying dry when I came to a river that had decided to form over the road about 2-3 feet deep.)  Another good weekend in Zambia.

No comments:

Post a Comment