Thursday, January 27, 2011

NYC to Lusaka

I had a great time in NYC.  It was a perfect way to exit the states.  Saturday, I got to see two great college friends- Victor Marshall and Tyler Danforth.  We watched the KU game (no comment) and spent time catching up.  Last time I went to Africa, I actually went with Tyler and Victor.  We all spent a month in Zimbabwe in 2007.  So it was appropriate that I saw them on my way out.  Sunday, I met up with my college roommate, Chad Evenson.  Chad and I did a little afternoon of tourism.  We went to the Museum of Modern Art and evaluated whether the items on display leaned more towards "modern" or "art."  Then we went to Rockefeller Center and saw an amazing view (as you can see in the photos).  That night we met up with my cousin Bryan Sayler and watched the Jets game. Bryan made sure that I got a great Italian meal, glass of wine, and a place to sleep.  Perfecto!
Monday, I met up with Dustin at the airport.  We went strait to a meeting with Gloria, an intriguing old lady who has worked for the UN for twice as long as I've been alive.  She loved what Zambikes is doing and volunteered to connect us to several people.  This resulted in an impromptu meeting with the ambassador of Kenya on Tuesday.  Strange, huh?  To close out the trip, we spent Tuesday night meeting up with friends for dinner and drinks.  We flew out of NYC early Wednesday and greeted Thursday morning in Johannesburg, South Africa.  That is where I am now- waiting to board my flight to Lusaka.  In 3 hours, I will be seeing where I am going to be living for the next 5 1/2 months...

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm...figures you already met an ambassador of Kenya, I'm not surprised.
    -Jared-

    ReplyDelete